Wednesday 10 December 2014

Talking to Idiots


[What's that you say?  "We will take discard your work  ."  You certainly will, old boy, you certainly will.]

[Updated March 26th, 2015: the same website actually stole my work a second time, a few months after this absurd dialogue!]

-----(1)-----
You have stolen an article of my own authorship, that I reserve the rights to: [link omitted].

You do not have the right to have this text on your website.  You should not have copied-and-pasted this content.

However, you _do_ have the right to discuss my work, and then to provide a link to the location of the article on my website (or to just provide a short notice with the link, etc.).

Here is a link to the article, as it appears on one of my own web-pages (with illustrations of my own selection, etc.).
https://medium.com/@eiselmazard/the-buddha-was-bald-a25589c26ebe

E.M.

-----(2)-----
Hi Eisel Mazard

First of all we have not stolen anything, your article as much I know its available in internet .

We thought you are a Buddhist because you  wrote about  the Buddha , and Buddhist usually share knowledge freely but in your case it seems totally opposite.Are you against to spread knowledge about Dharma

Secondly, usually people are happy that their work are listed in our Encyclopedia, because its   probably the biggest collection of Buddhist materials in web and its just the beginning of it

We will take discard your work  .



We have list of people who refused to give a materials for free to use for Encyclopedia  we,ll add you there.

Best regards  Admin of Chinese Buddhist Encyclopedia.

-----(3)-----
Here are two examples of what original scholarship on Buddhism looks like (written by myself, translated into Chinese).

巴利文的消失
https://medium.com/@eiselmazard/4e7ba4f7a30e

南傳佛教研究中的“經典”與“理性”問題
https://medium.com/@eiselmazard/1-7-b5947081e0d7

If Chinese is your first language, you can easily take a glance at those articles.

You can read them.

You can share links to them.

You can write an original article in response, providing your own opinion, and citations linking back to my essays.

What you CANNOT do is steal them: you cannot republish them, as if you owned the rights to them (without the author's permission).

When real scholars work very hard (for many years) to produce original research on Buddhism, you should respect them, and respect their work. If you really, sincerely do not understand what you have done wrong (in stealing my article, and posting it on your own website, without my permission) then you are not ready to be the editor of an encyclopedia.

You are also not qualified to be a scholar of Buddhism.

The question is not my identity as a Buddhist.  The question is not about my credentials as a scholar of Buddhism.

The question is about your plagiarism.  The question is of your moral integrity, and intellectual responsibility, after you have been (evidently) guilty of plagiarism.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Plagiarism

The appropriate thing for you to do is apologize --not to insult me.

You have now insulted me both publicly (on twitter) and privately (by e-mail) in response to my simply pointing out that you have done harm to me.

[Quite a number of my articles do get stolen, showing there's some interest in them, I suppose.  Most recently, I was surprised to find a Mongolian news website stole my essay on democracy in Mongolia (regarding it as news?).  When I sent them an e-mail asking about it, they deleted the offending webpage without reply.  We live in an era when authors neither get paid nor thanked nor credited --and when anyone can declare themselves the editor of the world's greatest encyclopedia, apparently.] 

 -----(4)-----

   Okay I,ll apologize.

It.s not hard for me ,when   you need it.  Does it, ll change your opinion .......I dont think so.

People are too emotional instead of using a logic.

Do I have to do something else ?

 I guess difference is  between us I,m a Buddhist and monk ,  you are scholar. I,m interested to gather all different opinions. texts, history's , everything about Buddhism  in to one Encyclopedia.

My goal is, people can more quickly and faster to study and learn about Buddhism.

AN example;  We have 3000  visitors from Bhutan  every day.When you saw your article in Encyclopedia you saw as well links to the terminology . Most of terminology, ll be linked and easy to access .

I guess our Encyclopedia is different to compare with others.

But okay you got your  apology  and, Sorry for insulting you ( as you mentioned) but that was not my meaning.

Probably I,m too far from civilization .  8 years in solitary  retreat has left some sort of misunderstanding between me and   ..others.

Best regards

just a simple monk


(Apparently, during 8 years in a cave, you learned to use Twitter…)

-----(5)-----

There are rules to this game.

I studied Pali (巴利文) for more than 10 years, and you know that I lived and worked in other countries, studying other languages, for several years, also.

Did you write to me with respect, asking to publish my article?  No.

Did you quote my article, and provide a citation to my website?  No.

You stole my article (i.e., plagiarism) and then insulted me, repeatedly.

I think you really do not understand the rules to the game.

If you call yourself an editor (of an encyclopedia).  There are rules to being an editor.  You call yourself a Buddhist monk, but there are rules to being a Buddhist monk, also.

I have written to you in a very rational and clear way, explaining that you _can_ quote my work, cite my work, and provide a link to my work.  However, you cannot copy my article onto your own website.

Do not accuse me of being "emotional"; your response was emotional, insulting, ignorant, and stupid.  You reproach me for "not being a Buddhist", when you are still a novice after 8 years in a cave.  Well, you can go into a cave ignorant, and you can emerge from a cave ignorant as well.  What does the Buddha say about ignorance?

I have sent you the links to two of my articles that are in Chinese: you can learn a lot from them, and you can share the links to them with other people.  What you CANNOT do is pretend that you own these articles, you CANNOT pretend that you were the author, and you CANNOT pretend that you are the publisher (you do not have the right to re-publish it, and you do not have my permission to publish it).

This is a question of showing basic respect for authors.

You know, now, that I did so much work on Buddhism, for so many years (in so many countries).  Nobody paid me to do this work.  Nobody is asking you to pay me.  All of this work I have shared for free (and yet you reproach me for doing the opposite, out of your ignorance). You must respect the rules of the game.  Otherwise, everyone will despise you.  If I give my work away for free, you can read it, you can quote it, and you can criticize it --but you CANNOT steal it.

You think you are doing a good thing by "collecting" the work of other people (without their permission!) on your website, but from a scholar's perspective, you are stealing.  Learn the standards for plagiarism, and learn what it means to really have respect for scholars and authors.

Please understand: this is the issue, plagiarism.

-----(6)-----

[Just a few months after this dialogue, the same website stole the same article from me, again, despite the supposed apology, above.]



http://www.chinabuddhismencyclopedia.com/en/index.php/The_Buddha_was_bald_By_Eisel_Mazard